Search This Blog

Thursday, May 28, 2015

There Comes a Time in Every Blogger's Life Where . . .

Still blogging away alongside three other talented bloggers.  Each week, one of us chooses a topic and we all post a blog entry on that topic, usually on Thursdays.  (Usually we are on time.  Usually.  Ok, sometimes.)

Here are the links to the other fabulous blogs:

Froggie 
Moma Rock


            This week, I chose the topic, and I said:  Write about a guilty pleasure.


            I chose this subject as a sort of “flip” of a reader’s choice topic submitted by my friend Dawn, who suggested “Lifetime movies.”  Dawn knows I love Lifetime movies.  And I know Dawn loves Lifetime movies.  (Dawn and I have spent hours talking about Lifetime movies.)  Originally, I was going to actually write about Lifetime movies, but then a certain events sent me in another direction.  So, instead, I’m going to write about another guilty pleasure:  this blog.

            About a year and a half ago, Froggie invited me to join her blogging group, consisting of her, Merryland Girl (Melissa), and Moma Rock (Sara).  Each week, we’ve alternated choosing a topic, and we’ve always been free to elaborate as we wish (our only “restriction” was to shy away from marriage- and kid-heavy topics, as not everyone in the group is married/a parent).  I was (and remain) grateful and excited and flattered for the invitation, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  I’ve had my moments of stress, of course; sometimes, writing on a subject I didn’t choose was difficult, but it was almost always fun and rarely, if ever, felt like a chore (a few times, but not too often).  At worst, I’d face a week where I wasn’t sure where I’d find the time to write, and some weeks I didn’t.  I hated those weeks; I felt I’d let my blog women down.  Most weeks, though, I relished my writing time, and I really enjoyed reading the feedback from my Five Loyal Readers.  I learned as much about them as I did about myself through these posts, and I took great pride in their kind, encouraging words, and from the fact they cared at all about anything I’d have to say.  (Love you.)

            And therein lies the pleasure.  But where’s the guilt?

            The guilt comes from the weeks where I didn’t do something else I needed to do but still spent time blogging.  Maybe it only takes me an hour or so to write a post, but that time adds up and, sometimes, I truly should have spent it elsewhere.

            Like editing my own book.

            Or reading my friend Nancy’s manuscript (I swear I am getting it done.  I swear.)

            Or reading my friend Tommy’s sample chapter.  (Ditto.)

            Or finishing book reviews to which I’ve committed and reading new books so I can review even more.

            Or mailing the now ridiculously belated cards to friends and family recognizing birthdays and holidays I missed.

            Or setting up my middle daughter’s occupational therapy.  And registering her for middle school – complete with the dreaded IEP meeting.

            Or reading my eldest daughter’s study abroad packet.

            Or cleaning the house, so my husband’s head doesn’t explode and we don’t all die from cat hair inhalation. 

            So, yes, I guess it’s fair to say blogging is a guilty pleasure.

            And, like most guilty pleasures – peanut butter M&Ms, naps, even Lifetime movies – at some point, you need to take a break and do some real work (and eat some real food.  Damn you, Mars candy).

            Yes, I’m taking a break from blogging, or at least from blogging with my blog group.  I’m hoping to take a sabbatical of about a month, or roughly half the kids’ summer vacation.  In that time, I plan to work on my book and the manuscripts and the book reviews and my kids’ stuff, and maybe even some housework.  I may write a post here or there in that time (sometimes I can’t not write), but for at least a few weeks, I won’t commit to anything.  I need a break from the “deadline” inherent in blogging in a group.  I’m too Type A and conscientious to just blow off deadline after deadline, and I have too much respect for my blog women, who are as busy (or busier) than I but who still find the time to get everything done without missing a beat.

            I don’t know what things will look like when the blog group returns, as I don’t know whether we are all on the same page as to taking a break and/or continuing on down the road (like any group, we don’t always communicate well).  I am hopeful it will get worked out, one way or another.

            In the meantime, I urge you to continue checking in with Melissa’s fabulous book blog/website, Chick Lit Central, and maybe even check out some of the other blogs I suggested a few weeks ago.  (I don’t know whether my co-bloggers will continue to blog separately, but I’d recommend checking in now and then; the links are above.)

            Or, if you need a break from reading blogs, I wholeheartedly recommend grabbing a bag of peanut butter M&Ms and heading to the couch for a Lifetime movie marathon.  And when you feel the nap coming on, give in guiltlessly – because we all deserve a guilty pleasure now and then.
           
           
 

5 comments:

  1. I totally hear you on it being a guilty pleasure and about it also taking time away from other things. I have a zillion things to do too and can't seem to get my head on straight. I love having you blog with us, but maybe we can find a different way to go about things after your sabbatical so it's less overwhelming for all of us. (No "guilt" intended whatsoever.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think when we come back to our blog group, we'll have a new perspective on things, and like Melissa said, maybe we can come up with a different approach to how we blog for our group. I know we can come up with something that will work for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the bag of M&M's and a Lifetime movie marathon, but my M&M's will be full of peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peanut M&Ms are in my top 3 -- have you tried the crispy ones??

      Delete