Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Dear Mr. Gacy . . .


Still blogging away alongside three other talented bloggers.  Each week, one of us chooses a topic and we all post a blog entry on that topic, usually on Thursdays.  (Usually we are on time.  Usually.  Ok, sometimes.)

Here are the links to the other fabulous blogs:

Moma Rock  


            Froggie chose this week’s topic.  She said:  Set an intention for 2015 and write about it.

            Funny story:  I told the blog group this post would be late because I had a crappy day, which finished out a series of a row of other crappy days.  I try not to wallow, but that’s where I was heading, and I didn’t feel like dragging everyone else through the muck.

            And while I was venting to my Sisters in Writing, one of them, Merryland Girl (also known as Melissa), generously offered to send me a care package of books in hopes of cheering me up, or at least distracting me.  I of course accepted.  (It seemed better than continuing to read books about serial killers, which I’ve been doing all month.  Ask me anything about Ted Bundy.  Go ahead, ask me.)

            And what’s funny about Melissa’s sweet offer is that I’d been mulling over my assigned intention throughout my funk (and my deadly reading binge).  And I kept coming back to two intentions for the year:  (1)  Do a better job staying in touch with friends and family I don’t get to see often; and (2) tell people what they mean to me.

            And didn’t Melissa just tackle both of my intentions with a few typed words?  By simply offering to send me some books – and by following through and sending those books (which she will – she’s done it before) – she’s keeping in touch with me in a way that erases the hundreds of miles that separate us.  I don’t think Melissa even gave her offer a lot of thought, just a simple:  Hmmm, Denise is struggling – what can I do to help?” and boom!  That gesture also tells me that I mean something to her.  Otherwise, why would she bother?

            After Melissa made her offer, I sent a message thanking her, and in my message I told her that I think she is thoughtful.  She, in turn, told me I’ve been a good friend.  We both nailed my second intention.  It was so easy.  And it meant a lot to me.

            I want to pass along that feeling I got when Melissa reached out, that feeling of knowing she cares and she’s thinking about me, that I matter to her.  I want to tell my family and friends I love them and I care about them and I value them, more than they know and certainly more than I’ve ever said. 

            So this year, I will do my best to stay in better touch with those of you I can’t see very often – and not just through Facebook.  I intend to reach out more.  Maybe it will be a phone call.  Or maybe it will be a greeting card or a letter.  Or maybe it will even be a book

            I sure hope you like reading about John Wayne Gacy.

2 comments:

  1. I almost cried reading this. You are so sweet! Glad I could be part of your intention and my *intention* is to get to the post office next week to send those books to you. Have a great weekend and best of luck on this whole house situation. If you ever need an escape, you're welcome to visit here so I can take you "junk" shopping at the thrift store. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the heart, friend. Your gesture meant so much at a time I really needed it (and didn't even know it). And I look forward to heading out for a visit and some DC thrifting! But not until it's warmer!

      Delete