Search This Blog

Saturday, June 21, 2014

In My Life (I Love You More)

I’m super excited to have been invited to join a blog group alongside three talented bloggers.  Each week, one of us chooses a topic and we all post a blog entry on that topic, usually on Thursdays.   


Here are the links to the other fabulous blogs:


A few months ago, I chose a topic for the group . . . and then I didn’t write my post.  I had a specific idea in mind at the time, but when I sat down to blog about it, I realized I didn’t really have an ending.  I asked the other bloggers for some extra time because I knew the ending was coming, sooner or later.  (Ever gracious, they obliged.) 

It was later rather than sooner, but I now have the ending.

Then, last week, Moma Rock gave this topic:  What are some of your favorite song lyrics? And why?  And although I faced great pressure to write about Bon Jovi (ahem!), I realized how as I’d been contemplating the ending of my “wish for” post, I’d had certain lyrics running through my head.  I can’t say they are “favorites,” but they sure seemed relevant. 

The topic I’d chosen was:  Careful what you wish for.  Here, finally, is my take:

When I was younger, I’d always wanted to live in Evanston, Illinois.  For those of you not acquainted with Chicago or even Illinois, Evanston is a city bordering Chicago to the north.  It’s famous for housing Northwestern University, and for serving as the southernmost city on the famed North Shore.  Neither of these reasons particularly appealed to me.  I just liked the town:  the cute and walkable downtown, the abundant parks, the huge historic homes lining Asbury and Sheridan Road.  Someday I’ll live in one of those, I’d dream as I drove down the winding tree-lined streets.  I’d be happy living here. 

Fast forward quite a few years, and suddenly I’m following a large pink moving truck as it pulls up to a house in the 60201, one of Evanston’s zip codes.  The house isn’t one of the sprawling landmarks I’d dreamed about but instead a plain brown bungalow – and a rental at that.  And it wasn’t on Asbury or Sheridan; it was barely in Evanston.  We’d moved to what is known as “Northwest Evanston,” a corner of the city bordered by the suburbs of Skokie and Wilmette, both of which sit a stone’s throw away.

Despite my years of wishing, I wasn’t thrilled to move to Evanston.  It didn’t feel like the realization of a life-long dream.  In the intervening years, I’d bought and grown into a sprawling yellow brick bungalow in Edison Park, a neighborhood on the Far Northwest Side of Chicago, not far from where I grew up.  But after a decade, we couldn’t stay.  My eldest daughter was attending a private school in Evanston, and the drive was killing us.  The threats and stress of an unstable neighbor sealed the deal. 

And so, we moved.  We rented a house for a year to see whether we liked Evanston.  We enrolled our then-Kindergartener in the local public school.  I walked her to school, picked her up, got to know some neighbors, explored the area.  I found things I liked, of course, but I can’t say I fell in love.  I missed my old house, my old neighborhood.  My old life.  I struggled to adjust.

After a year, we decided to stay, and we bought a house just a few blocks from the rental, a house that could not be more different from the charming homes I’d dreamt about.  Ours was a gut rehab, brand spanking new, filled with all the bells and whistles but zero charm.  It was not the Evanston about which I’d dreamed, for which I’d wished.

Quite the contrary.  In fact, there were many, many things about my new house and my new town that I didn’t like, that I even hated.  The cost of the house.  The high taxes.  The location (there is no good way to get to or from Evanston – trust me).  The stupid opposite parking on Thursdays and Fridays for street cleaning (and for snow).  The streetlights that illuminated exactly one foot of street.  The phrase “cooler by the lake” (and the accompanying cold air).  I felt like an outsider.  I struggled to make friends with the other moms.  I struggled, period.  

And once our middle daughter was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome and I began an 18-month battle with the school district to secure services, I openly bad mouthed my adopted home, vehemently, loudly.  I made a new wish:  I wished we could move.  I initiated conversations to that end with my husband – and he didn’t disagree.  Exhausted from our battle with the school, we started looking elsewhere:  nearby suburbs like Glenview, Highland Park, faraway suburbs like Geneva and St. Charles.  Living in Evanston hadn’t been the realization of a dream I’d imagined.  I should have been more careful.  I’d wasted a wish come true.

This spring, as I reeled from the worst winter I’d ever experienced (and that says a lot given my years in Illinois and Michigan) and we looked around various parts of Illinois, another wish began rolling around my heart:  I wished we could live somewhere warm.  A place where winter didn’t register temperatures below zero – ever, let alone months on end.  A city where my car wouldn’t be eaten by salt and where snowplows were a rare sight not because city services stink (Evanston) but because they were wholly unnecessary.  I dreamt and I wished and I imagined.  But I really didn’t see such a move in our future.

But wishes are funny things.  Because sometimes they come true.

For reasons not relevant here, my husband began looking for a new job.  He looked, of course, in Illinois – but he also looked in other, warmer places.  He got a bite, and that bite turned into a job.

In Tennessee.  Murfreesboro, Tennessee. 

We talked it over – briefly, actually – and the opportunity was too good to pass up.  My wish came true.  We’d be moving somewhere warmer.  We’d be leaving Evanston.

And now, as I race to clean and declutter and get that gut rehab house on the market, I’ve begun to realize that, once again, I need to be careful.  Because, somehow, in the five years I’ve spent in Evanston, most of which I’d spent wishing to get out, I’d made connections.  I settled into a community.  I’d created a home.  My wish, in no small part, had come true:  I’d been happy in Evanston.  Happier than I’d thought.

As I pack, I see vivid images in my mind of people and things I will be leaving behind, and my heart is heavy.  And playing in the background on a continuous loop are two songs, both of which seem relevant here, to this post and to this time.  The title of Don’t Know What You’ve Got (‘Til it’s Gone) by Cinderella seems particularly poignant, even if the lyrics don’t register much.  And when that’s done playing, I hear Unanswered Prayers by Garth Brooks.  Those lyrics ring so true.  The song tells the story of running into an ex and remembering how hard you wished and prayed for things to work out with that person but now realizing it is best that wish went unanswered.  The chorus:

Sometimes I thank God, for unanswered prayers.
Remember when you’re talking to the man upstairs.
Just because he doesn’t answer, doesn’t mean he don’t care
Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

In essence, Garth is warning to be careful what you wish for.  As am I.

I’ve never been terribly good and being “present” in the moment, and I realize that fact more now than ever as I live the final few weeks of Evanston life.  Each day, I look around and think about those parts of Evanston I do love and will greatly miss.  Living within walking distance of Bent Park, particularly on cool, humid mornings when the fog rolls in.  The chocolate cake at Tag’s Bakery that tastes just like a Suzie Q.  As angry as the school district has made me, I’ll miss the school end-of-year picnic and Fall Fest and the 10’s orchestra shows.  I’ll even miss the gut rehab house, the one we spent years charming up, with shutters and gingerbread and flowers and paint and memories. 

Most of all, I’ll miss my Evanston friends:  Cynthia and Mariah and Allison and Julie W. and Julie R. and Liz and Me’Chelle and Erin and Jennifer and Kate and Lara and Anna Renee (and I’m sure I’m forgetting someone and I’ll apologize now).  I’ll miss watching their kids grow up; I’ve known some of them for more than half their lives.  I’ll miss our awesome next door neighbors on both sides, especially Sue and Pete to the north, who generously offer us fresh tomatoes and watch the house when we are gone and who snowblow for us each winter (even if it is at 5:00 a.m. . . . ).  I’ll miss Dave at the bakery, even though he’s moody, and I’ll miss Judith who works behind the counter.  I’ll miss taking walks down the leafy streets, past the Sixteen Candles house and the Uncle Buck house and the Curly Sue school (which would be my kids’ middle school had we stayed).  I’ll miss sitting at the YWCA and talking to “swim dad” Chris, who doesn’t live in Evanston but might as well.  And I will miss my hospice people:  my “ladies” with whom I visit each week, and my wonderful team, Mary and Jill and Kathy. 

Even though I will grieve these losses, I am excited about the move.  I look forward to the adventure, as much as I dread starting over.  But as I move on, literally, I will remind myself to more carefully choose my wishes, and to remember that we really don’t know what we’ve got until it’s gone.  I will try to remember that, sometimes, there is an upside to unanswered prayers and ungranted wishes. 

And I will always, always Keep the Faith.


Epilogue:  Some lyrics for my NWEv Friends:

There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed.
Some forever, not for better.
Some have gone and some remain.
All these places had their moments,
With lovers and friends
I still can recall.
Some are dead and some are living,
In my life, I've loved them all.
But of all these friends and lovers,
There is no one compares with you.
And these memories lose their meaning,
When I think of love as something new.
Though I know I'll never lose affection,
For people and things that went before,
I know I'll often stop and th
ink about them.
In my life I love you more.
 

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I can relate to you in some ways. I'll save that for an e-mail since I don't want to take away from what you wrote here. And you were even able to tie in song lyrics. :) Good luck with your move. Hope you love your new home and neighborhood and that the people there learn right away how great you are! But if you're going through post-move stress/anxiety, you know where to find me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. It's been quite awhile since I've made an out-of-state move, so I imagine I will be turning to you for advice and/or a shoulder!

      Delete
  2. "Huh.", the catch-all phase for when one does not know what to say...but let's remember whose typing this response afterall...

    I can just picture you throwing things into boxes only after you've spent the last 20 minutes remembering something special about the item. Letting go of the detritus of the lives that share your home from kid to cat, child to adult. I can see you looking out your window and wondering if you've remembered to pack all of your memories of the yard, the block, the spring blossoms following the shittiest winter EVER, and hoping you spent enough time out there simply enjoying life.

    I can see you driving all through that "barely Evanston" neighborhood you call home and mourning what could have been, all the while secretly happy about leaving it all behind. Shopping with specified intent so you don't buy anything more than you need because you don't want to move it let alone pack it!

    I can see you wondering if this is the right thing for your girls, especially the younger ones...will they fit in where you're headed, will they make friends, will they hate it? And too, I can see you pondering those same questions with an "I" substituted for the "they".

    I can see you wishing you'd had the chance to really press the school into action to perform and yet sighing with relief that you don't have to. I can easily see you considering how much you learned about fighting for the rights of your children and knowing how it might be easier if you have to do it again. But being able to do it knowing you possess the knowledge and the tenacity of how to face that same kind of opposition, means you know you'll suceed, and very likely in less time.

    I can see you creating new opportunities for yourself and your family from this move and I can see you happy; secure in the knowledge that you know yourself, and your ability to adapt, better than you've ever known it before.

    And, I can see you embracing this new chapter of your life with arms thrown wide, mixed with a bit of fear and some trepidation, but mostly anticipation. Because deep down inside you are a survivor, strong in nature, wired to succeed, determined to be you - and that is how I know...


    At first you were afraid
    You were petrified
    Kept thinking you could never live
    without us by your side
    But then you spent so many nights
    thinking how could you go wrong
    And you grew strong
    And you learned how to get along
    and so we're here
    from outer space
    we just walked in to find you here
    with that sad look upon your face
    We will never change that lock
    and you can always keep your key
    but know for just one second
    how much you being gone will bother we

    Go on now go walk out the door
    just turn around now
    'cause you are welcome forevermore
    weren't you the one who tried to smile thru the goodbyes
    Did you think you'd crumble
    Did you think you'd lay down and die
    Oh no, not you
    You will survive
    Oh as long as we know you
    We know you'll stay alive
    You've got all your life to live
    We've got all our love to give
    and we'll survive
    We will survive (hey-hey)

    Hugs from here to there and back again. May the Goddess and all that is good in the world lift you up to the sky and let the rain cleanse your soul and the Sun warm your spirit my dear friend. I won't cry just yet, although the idea of losing you makes me sad. Rather I will celebrate the time we got to know each other in our parallel universe and anticipate our continued journey together as 'lifelong' friends.

    Much love, Anna Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful post, Denise. While I haven't had to move much in the last decade, I've seen a lot of friends come and go. I live in a military town, so it's part of the program around here. You captured exactly how they feel- a chance at something new, a clean slate- yet, sadness at leaving behind their "old" lives and the roots they've planted. Funny thing about roots- they are firmly intact. So, even when you move, you will always have those friendships and it's such a great thing to have in life! I wish you the best of luck in TN- I can't wait to read your posts re: the new life you've begun there!

    ReplyDelete